Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bittern at Forest Farm

News has leaked out the last week or two of sightings of at least one of the rare and elusive Bittern being present at Forest Farm, a nature reserve on the outskirts of Cardiff and one of my former regular haunts, although somewhere I hadn't been for at least a year. I decided to put that right, and headed down that way today. 
Several hours' wait in the hide, with only the briefest glimpse of the bird, was made worthwhile when a Bittern finally popped out the into the open just after 3 p.m. in the warm Spring sunshine, crossing from right to left the gap between the two reedbeds. I managed a few shots, albeit that they are cropped a bit from originals taken with a 500mm lens and 2x converter:






Just before leaving, I decided to have a peek in the other hide as dusk was falling. There didn't seem to be anything about, but then a flapping in the reeds to the right caught my eye. Amazingly, it was a Bittern perched incongruously at the top of the reed stems, and apparently trying to walk along the top of the reedbed. By this time, the battery in my camera had run out, so I resorted to a bit of video, although it was so dark the camcorder could barely focus, and I haven't got the facility to upload it at the moment. Not sure whether the Bittern had just flown in, or whether it had climbed up the reed-stems, but it soon melted back down into the reeds and was gone into the night.

9 comments:

  1. Great shots of the Bittern! It can be such an elusive bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowohwow, what great photographs and what a very cool bird!!! I know you must have been so thrilled, I know I would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice shots Jeremy..... well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be thrilled with these, Jeremy. Stunning detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice spot and good pictures
    Regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely set of pics Jeremy, excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photos Jeremy. I was there Sunday afternoon and had great views as one of the Bitterns flew in and landed in the top of one of the reedbeds. It somehow kept its balance and sat there for about ten minutes looking around. Forest Farm really is a fantastic location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots.
    There were 3 bitterns on show at the same time last week.

    ReplyDelete