Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Glossy Ibises at Pembrey

I've finally worked out how to transfer footage from my video camera to my computer, so here's some belated footage of the Glossy Ibis flock which turned up at Pembrey in Carmarthenshire in September 2009:



Something unusual happened whilst walking up through Singleton Park on Saturday afternoon, when I looked across into the field at the back of St. Paul's Church, and saw, of all things, a Red-legged Partridge feeding about 30 metres away. I only had my 50mm lens with me, and when I tried to sneak up behind a hedge to photograph it, it scurried off into some distant undergrowth. I returned next morning with my big lens, hoping for some closer shots, but I could only managed this distant, heavily cropped, rather poor quality, shot:


It's a bit of a mystery as to how the bird got there, as this is an area surrounded by roads and houses (although I did see one a few months ago on some upland farmland about a mile away, so perhaps it strayed from there). I haven't seen it since, but I will certainly be keeping an eye out for it when I pass that way.

This afternoon, I had a couple of hours to spare before dusk, so decided to head over to Three Cliffs Bay. The sun was shining when I left Swansea, and I hoped a nice sunset might develop. No chance, as by the time I arrived at my destination, thick cloud had appeared, and before long it was raining! Only birds of note were two Ravens, a Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk circling overhead, a Grey Heron, and a single Ringed Plover on the beach. I took a few landscape shots, but all are dull and dreary. Bit of a dead loss of a day!

1 comment:

  1. That footage of the Glossy Ibis brings back fond memories. Great find on the Partridge as well.

    I too tried for a sunset this evening but was similarly rained off. Typical after a relatively nice day and being stuck in the office.

    ReplyDelete