Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wheatear

I was strolling along Swansea seafront about 5.30 p.m on Saturday. I wasn't specifically going 'birding' (I hardly ever do these days!), but I noticed it was high tide, so got out my binoculars as I noticed an interesting selection of waders quite close in between Blackpill and West Cross. As well as good numbers of Oystercatchers, and the usual Dunlins and Ringed Plovers, there were a few Redshanks scuttling past, plus a handful of Knots, and a single Greenshank - a species I don't think I've seen here before. I decided to head home and get my big lens to try for a few shots of the latter two species. Of course, by the time I got back, the tide had gone out and the birds had disappeared.
Never mind, and I spotted a migrant Wheatear nearby, which proved quite approachable and allowed a few pictures:






5 comments: