Thursday, February 07, 2013

Woodland Star-Trail

I confess to having a bit of a Waxwing fetish: who can resist these beautiful birds? There was an influx of these into the Cardiff area back in December, and another flock of 20 or so a few weeks ago. All my visits to photograph them coincided with deadly dull weather, so I haven't bothered to upload any pictures. Yesterday, I thought everything had finally come together: another small group of Waxwings had been sighted in Cardiff, I had the afternoon free, and the weather was gorgeously sunny and bright. Even better, on arriving in Cardiff just before noon, I checked the internet to see that the birds had been seen on Canada Road at 10.30 that morning. Everything was going according to plan for my upcoming award-winning snaps! Until, that is, I arrived at the location at 12.30 p.m. - and the Waxwings were not there! I wandered around the area in vain for an hour, but the birds had obviously seen me coming and scarpered. Damned rude of them, after I had gone all that way to see them.
I headed back to Swansea with my tail between my legs, and arrived back under a clear and starry sky. The perfect night for a star-trail shot, I thought. I remembered an isolated tree which stood atop a hill above my house, and thought it would make an excellent foreground for a star-trail picture. I headed out after dark with my camera gear, convinced I was about to get the best star-trail shot ever taken. I was not! A local farmer had blocked off the previously-public footpath leading to the hilltop - bastard, I thought! I was determined to get at least one photo out of this so-far-disastrous day, and so I set up my camera in a small wood and pointed it at the stars, before heading home to watch the football. On going out to collect the camera afterwards, I was relieved that the lens, for once, didn't seem to have fogged over. Of course, something was bound to have gone wrong, and it had: the battery had run out! However, it had completed about a 75-minute exposure, so here it is (the yellowish light on the trees is caused by the nearby street-lights):


Hardly worth all that bother (and all that unnecessary waffle I've just written) for one crummy picture!

6 comments:

  1. Very good photo Jeremy.....nice done.

    Greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you couldn't make any Waxwings pictures. But this picture from the "wandering stars" has been great. I wonder there is no wind in the trees.

    Do you know the song "Wondering star, from Lee Marvin" ? I think it was my first song I have recorded.
    I wish you more luck for next Waxwing pictures :-)
    Have a good time
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pic. Better luck on the taff trail next time Jer. Still, the glamorganshire canal is always a tranquil spot to be. Kieran :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great recent images must look into star trails myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photo Jeremy! Sorry you had such a frustrating day. It reminded me of my own recent quest to find Waxwings, luckily I only had to go 4 or 5 minutes up the road each time though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, not to be too upset Jeremy, for I missed the Waxwings, pretty much our season as well. I got a few, but nothing grand. The image that you shared is a worthy effort though, very nice. happy week~

    ReplyDelete