Saturday, November 06, 2010

Very Late Swallows!

Walking along the seafront golf course here in Swansea today, I spotted a familiarly unfamiliar bird flitting overhead. Familiar because it is is a common enough visitor to these shores; unfamiliar due to the time of year, when they should be well away on their return journey to Africa. Was it or wasn't it? I looked a little closer, and sure enough it was: a Swallow! I watched it dashing to and fro above at breakneck speed, doing all it could to evade me and my camera's vain and feeble attempts to capture it in flight:


 After half an hour, it was joined by another bird, and they flew back and forth over the grassland for a further twenty-five minutes, before disappearing south-westwards towards West Cross and the setting sun. I dare say the last Swallows I shall see this year, and probably the latest I have ever seen!

3 comments:

  1. Extraordinary to have Swallows still about at Guy Fawkes season! Good photo, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my leaves were in Singleton Park. Well spotted! MANY congratulations on your sale! A stunning shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous blog you have! Your photography is amazing!

    ReplyDelete