Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recent Bird Shots

A few avian shots from the last few days.
Coal Tit:


Male Chaffinch:


Nuthatch:


A couple of days ago, I walked along the coastal path from Langland Bay to Caswell Bay, hoping to see Choughs. There were none there, although I did hear my first spring migrant of the year - a singing Chiffchaff. I had to content myself with photographing the Feral Pigeons as they flew past:


Carrion Crows seem to always appear when I walk along Swansea seafront. I'm sure they can pick me out from other people, and zero in on me as a potential source of food. Here's one who suddenly appeared when he saw me eating my sandwiches:


Today was a beautiful, almost summery, day, and I went down to the park for a bit in late afternoon to see what was about. No sooner had I sat down to eat my sandwiches (food again!), than I heard a strange squawk from above. I looked up to see the lonely male Ring-necked Parakeet, exactly where I saw him about a year ago when I first started this blog


He was clearly getting into the breeding mood, and was peering down towards this nest hole which has been commandeered by a pair of Jackdaws:



Unfortunately for him, the nearest female is probably hundreds of miles away!


3 comments:

  1. Nice collection Jeremy. Really like the Coal Tit. Good to see the Parakeet is still around but like you say I fear his breeding chances this year are slim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful series Jeremy!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete